Monday, March 13, 2006

Shot in the dark

Where to start? I really don't want to bore anyone with the mundane details of my day, but for lack of motivation and an absence of any other significant excitement for the time being, that's where I'll begin.

I spent 45 minutes spinning my wheels in the pool this morning, throwing in a hard one-minute surge every five minutes to help the time go by a little quicker. I'm not very good at cross training - it's not the actual activity itself that I have trouble mastering, it's the monotony of participating in an activity that I don't enjoy. I'm not gonna kid myself here. In this (hopefully) brief hiatus from running, I don't expect to advance - heck, or even maintain - any level of physical fitness while stuck in the water, but keeping a moderate level of aerobic activity in my schedule does wonders for my sanity, so I'll drag myself in there every so often.

So, you may be asking yourself, after two weeks of limited running that has currently been reduced to some occasional half-ass cross training, what exactly have I been up to? Well, good question, glad I asked it. The short answer is nothing. Seriously. In some respects, I've become quite lazy. I've been staying up later than usual, sleeping till whenever I damn well please, not cross-training like I probably should be and eating exorbitant amounts of food (see yesterday's entry). On the other hand, however, I've also been quite productive, depending on how you look at it. I've been able to meet up with friends I haven't seen in a while, catch up on some long overdue reading and writing projects (not counting this blog, sorry!), look into some future job opportunities and scope out some potential geographic relocations. This may sound like a poor excuse, but these things don't come easy when one is running 100 miles a week!

With that being said, my day (well, night) job needs some tending to. Tomorrow night I'll be heading back to the motherland with my old pal Mr. McKeon to catch Stonehill men's hoops in the D2 version of the Sweet 16. Take it easy all.

Quote of the day:

Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great.
-Mark Twain

No comments: