Saturday, March 11, 2006

Bits-n-pieces

Still rather busy, but a few tidbits from the last 24 hours:

- Ran 55 minutes and change with Nate yesterday in Boston before heading into Reggie to watch Day 1 of DII Indoor Nationals. Achilles was doing well till we made a pit-stop 1/2 way through, and then it went to shit. Swelling and creaking has returned, which I am now combatting with three Naproxen twice daily and copious amounts of ice.

- Despite the aforementioned swelling, I drove my stubborn ass out to Sterling this morning to meet up with Hodgie for a 51-minute jaunt on the Rail Trail. That bastard tendon of mine held up pretty well until about 10 minutes to go before tightening up on me. Swelling isn't doing much better, and it sounds like I have an elastic band ready to snap in my Achilles, so I think a day or two off are in order. I (unsuccessfully) tried to run my way through my lower-leg problems this week, which only totalled a pathetic 40 miles anyway. At this point, I've pretty much given up on any short-term racing goals and instead am gonna do whatever it takes to get rid of this sucker. With that being said, the running updates over the next few days or so probably won't be all that interesting - that is, if they even were in the first place.

- Got an inebriated phone call last night from a certain Mass. dude who now resides north of the border in the Granite State. Apparently, he's been on a three-week running hiatus due to a stress reaction in his leg. If it weren't for work tonight, I may have made the trip up to Keene to join him and few others for some pre-spring baseball and BBQ action. Unfortunately, the proverbial man has me by the figurative balls. But either way, it was still good to hear from my one-time roommate in Portland. I'll leave it to you to figure out his true identity.

- Congrats to Katie G, 11th in the 3K at NC's!

- Tomorrow is Worcester's annual St. Patrick's Day parade. I may head in to partake in the festivities with one of my favorite Micks, Brendan McGrail. Sounds pretty logical right? Sure, St. Patrick's Day and a McGrail make perfect sense - the kicker is that we'll be taking in the scene with his pals at El Basha, the city's finest Middle Eastern restaurant.

And that's gonna do it for the late-night Saturday edition of the Runaround. Take it easy all.

Quote of the day:

A ship in the harbor is safe. But that's not what ships are built for.
- Anonymous

No comments: