Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Goin' dancin'

No, not me, so no need to hide the women and children just yet. The dancers I'm talkin' bout play for the Stonehill men's basketball team, 2005 NCAA Division 2 Northeast Champions of the world. They downed UMass-Lowell tonight, 89-80, in front of a packed house at the Bird's Nest, or the hangar, or whatever the hell they're calling Merkert Gymnasium these days. The SkyHawks move on to the Elite 8, starting Wednesday night in Springfield, where they play some hick team from the Midwest. Mr. McRun and I are already planning the mini-road trip to the Division 2 version of the Big Dance, so any former CHIEFTAINS who'd like to tag along with us, feel free to get in touch.

Speaking of Mr. McRun, he and I were joined this evening by Milford's own Mark Driscoll, who had never even been to Easton before tonight! He was there supporting fellow red head and former MHS Scarlet Hawk, Sean Nelson, who had a monster game down low. Hmm, two Milford natives in the building, both of them red heads. Coincidence? Nah.

A few other notable Hill alumni were in attendance, including Fran Guardabascio and....well, make that one other notable alumni, at least. Either way, it was good to be back on campus and catch up with old teammates, friends, coaches, faculty/staff members, etc. I really miss that place, it feels like a second home to me.

No land running to speak of just yet. Maybe tomorrow, but Driscoll may have talked me out of it. The Achilles is feeling and looking a lot better, but I don't wanna push my luck too soon. No need to rush back again at this point.

I did 30 minutes of running in the pool and swam 500 meters this morning, racing the old folks in the water to keep me motivated. It's sad the levels I have to stoop to sometimes to keep myself in the pool, but if I can create a competitive environment for myself, it's somewhat bearable. As much as I hate being in the water, give me someone to try and beat to the wall and I'll nearly drown myself trying to get there before him or her. Funny how that works sometimes.

And that does it. Time to hit the hay. G'night all.


Quote of the day:

I suggest anyone who is reading this and has some running related questions to send them to Hodgie. Chances are you will get some (softened for your benefit) philosophical form of "toughen up there wuss bag, this is how I ran fast, this is how anyone who ran fast ran fast. There is no secret formula. You do it or get out of the way. Good luck!" Which is what everyone needs to hear. Being told to take it easy and put your feet up doesn't get you on a world cross team.
- some good advice, courtesy of Ryan Carrara

No comments: