Thursday, March 09, 2006

Link happy

I've got some time on my hands today, so instead of wasting it, I'll get started right away:

- Some sad news here that I came across while surfing letsrun.com this morning. It's an unfortunate occurrence, but it goes to show the grim devestation that an eating disorder has on not only the person suffering from it, but on that individual's friends and family as well. Along the same theme, Alison had a post today about a book that she's reading chronicling Mary Wazeter's fatal battle with anorexia, depression and running. If nothing else, hopefully these sad stories can open some eyes and educate others about the grave consequences of this debilitating disease.

- 41 minutes of running this morning through the Industrial Park in town. Achilles is still hurts - surprise, surprise - but didn't start tightening up on me until a mile or so into the run. I actually think I felt a bit of a twinge in my left Achilles, but hopefully that was just an aberration. I neglected using the heel lifts today as I don't want to become overly reliant on them while running. In addition to my regular treatment methods, I think I'm going to start experimenting with a few of the ideas that I came across in this article. I'm not expecting a miracle cure of any sort, but I figure I might as well see if any of these treatments help matters any. I'll keep ya'll posted.

- 30 minutes of pool fartlek this afternoon, with numerous 30-second and one-minute pickups to get the heart rate up a bit. The pool was devoid of the usual annoyances this afternoon, which actually made this session somewhat bearable. I had a conversation today with this fella, who is also confined to the water right now with some mysterious lower-leg problems of his own. We traded some ideas on pool workouts, rehab and the like, and hopefully both of us are fully functioning on land again sooner than later .

- The NCAA Division II Indoor Championships come to the Reggie Lewis Center this weekend, hosted by this fine institution. The host school will be well represented by this speedy sophomore, as well as this fast lass, both of whom will be competing in their respective 5000-meter races on Saturday afternoon. Unfortunately, I won't be able to cheer 'em on because I have to work. However, I am planning on heading into Roxbury tomorrow to catch some of the early action, as well as get a run in with this guy at 1 o'clock. Hopefully my Achilles and I are able to hang on for 30 to 40 minutes.

- Weather report: It's shaping up to be a nice weekend round these parts. The forecast is calling for a little rain, but temps are rumored to be approaching 60, which is f-i-n-e by me. Bring on spring!

- I picked up some new tea this afternoon while I was buying a few things for dinner tonight. I'm a sucker for anything that says "cinammon", "chai" and "ginger", so I decided to give it a whirl. It wasn't that bad, but perhaps I was expecting a bit too much, because I was mildly disappointed. Oh well, just another box of tea to throw into the rapidly-growing rotation.

- I may go see this movie tonight, for four bucks nonetheless. Being a big college hoops fan, I've been wanting to see this one for a while but haven't got around to it. The price is right - just get to the Elm Theatre by 7:30. Easier said than done.

That's all I got for now, maybe some more later if the opportunity presents itself. I gotta get my ass in gear if I wanna make it to the movie. Take it easy.

Quote of the day:

Life sucks, get a f*cking helmet.
- Denis Leary

*n.b. I don't think life sucks, per se, but I do believe the message here to strap on your helmet and keep soldiering when things start hitting you from every which angle is worth keeping in mind.

No comments: