Friday, April 14, 2006

You heard it here first

Well, maybe not, but whatever. With all the talk about the strength of the American field at this year's Boston Marathon (which is completely justified, I might add) and possibility of the first domestic winner since Greg Meyer in 1983, the "experts" - including the Bodhisattva of everything that is running, letsrun.com - are quick to pin all their hopes and dreams on the Big Two (Meb and Alan) along with honorable mention, Brian Sell.

Now don't get me wrong. The aforementioned triumverate deserves all the attention they're getting and it's possible that any of the three could have a breakout day, heck, perhaps even win the whole damn thing. In fact, I hope one of them does. But let's not forget about some other notables who I think are going to open some eyes and turn a couple heads on Patriots Day. The runningman's All-Underdog team, in no particular order:

- Clint Verran. With all the hype surrounding his teammate Sell, 'ol Clint has sort of slipped under the radar. And he's probably OK with that. Personally, I think he's the guy to watch.
- Luke Humphrey. Still kinda new to the whole marathon thing, but I just got a feeling he's gonna bust out on Monday.
- Peter Gilmore. 10th in the race last year, member of the World Champs team in Helsinki and STILL doesn't get the credit he deserves. Unbelievable.
- Casey Moulton. The sentimental New England favorite, this pick is somewhat of a wildcard but one I'm willing to place my bet on. I'm not even sure if he's still planning on running, but at last check it was a go. And if it still is, go he will. Believe me.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. Any more come to mind and I'll try to post an updated list later on. Take it easy all.

I remember when Bill Rodgers would be training with foreign runners on the course here and guys would come up out of manhole covers and say, 'Kick their ass, Billy!' That's what Boston wants to see. People want to cheer for the home team.
- Greg Meyer

No comments: