Sunday, January 22, 2006

Race report

Well, I said it was gonna be a slugfest and boy did I get walloped.

I finished 5th in 8:44.95 at the GBTC Invitational 3000m held at Harvard University. Going into the race I was hoping to run around 8:30 or so, but it just wasn't in the cards today. I'm a bit disappointed, but I guess ya gotta start somewhere. I don't think the time is indicative of my current fitness level, but as KcoachB would say: "It is what it is."

As for the race itself, it was kind of an odd affair. We went out a bit on the slow side (at least it felt that way at the time!) and the lead pack went through the mile in around 4:32 or so with Jeff Caron and myself about 2-3 seconds back. It stayed that way for another two laps or so before I quickly fell apart and Caron proceeded to gap me pretty good. I never felt good at any point of the race but those last four laps were just plain u-g-l-y.

No worries though, I'll bounce back.

Up front, Ryan had a great race and pulled away from Oscar and Nate on the last lap to win in 8:26. He's racing the 5K on Friday night at BU and looks ready to rip off a big one. I'll be racing the mile and am looking forward to avenging today's disaster. Justin had a good race today himself in the 'ol eight-lapper and ran 4:11 to nab an indoor PR. Watch out for him over the next few weeks! Former Brown standout Pat Tarpy won the race in 4:04 and led wire to wire to boot. It was pretty impressive.

And that just about does it for today - I'm pretty wiped. Until next time, take it easy all.

Quote of the day:

The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's the real glory. That's the essence of it.
-Vince Lombardi

No comments: