Monday, January 16, 2006

Monday musings

I've been finding it to be a fairly difficult task of late trying to figure out exactly what I'm going to talk about on a daily basis, so today I'm going to experiment with posting a random list of whatever happens to be floating through my head and comment on it. So without further adue, here goes:

1. It's still pretty damn cold outside. Things are looking up, however, with temps forecasted in the 40's over the next few days. After going from 50+ two days ago to single digits yesterday and today, I'll take anything above 20. With that being said, I'll end my incessant bitching about the weather of late and just deal with it from here on out.

2. The Pats are out of the playoffs - no third-straight Superbowl appearance for our beloved Belichickens. Along with everyone else around these parts, I'm pretty disappointed that things had to end on such a sour note in Denver, but hey, at least Peyton Manning's ass is sitting at home - again.

3. New world-record in the 1/2 marathon this weekend by the one and only Haile Geb. 58:55, or 4:29/mile for 13.1 miles - simply amazing. That pretty much sums this one up.

4. Speaking of 1/2 marathons, the U.S. Championship was held this weekend in Houston. Impressive performances all around, topped by Brian Sell capturing yet another U.S. road title. He's one tough bastard who doesn't get nearly the credit he deserves. Well done Sellbo. Word on the street is that he's running Boston in April, which adds some more depth to a developing American field that already includes Olympic silver medalist Meb Keflizighi. On the local front, two former BAA teammates of mine - Ed Baker (1:05:17) and Pat Moulton (1:05:28) - also ran very well this past weekend in the Lonestar State, finishing 18th and 21st, respectively. Both will be running the Austin Freescale Marathon in February with the goal of nailing down an early Trials qualifier. Best of luck to the two of them!

5. The GBTC 3K is shaping up to be a good one this weekend with Ryan Carrara, Jason Bialka, Oscar Ponce, defending champion Nate Jenkins, the aforementioned Ed Baker, along with a few other local open and college studs all rumored to be taking part. Kevin entered me with a seed time of 8:30, which is in the ballpark of what I'm looking to run, so here's to hoping I get into the Invitational heat and am able to duke it out with those guys for 15 laps. Stay tuned for updates as they become available.

6. Not sure yet how I feel about this. The changes seem almost sacrilegious in a way, but apparently need to take place for the greater good of Boston and the surrounding communities. Oddly enough, I don't think the following excerpt from the article holds any shred of validity whatsoever: "The waved start could address the perennial problem of over-hydrated runners relieving themselves on lawns and flower beds in downtown Hopkinton."

And that just about sums up the day's news and excitement. I kinda like how this format worked out, so I think I may use a similar one in future postings unless something absolutely earth-shattering develops and I decide to devote an entire day's entry to it. As always, feedback is greatly appreciated and encouraged. Take it easy.

Quote of the day:
If you add a little to a little, and then do it again, soon that little shall be much.
-Hesiod

1 comment:

Chad said...

Mario, it sucks when you ask for feedback and no one responds, so I'll jump in. I enjoy your writing no matter what format it appears.

Some days you'll find it difficult to find a topic to write about other days you'll have to scale back - or end up with a 4-page post.