Friday, January 27, 2006

Fast Friday

That's gonna be the idea at BU tonight as I race the mile on the track for the first time in almost two years. The last time I contested the event, I finished DAL (dead-ass last) in my preliminary heat at DII Indoor Nationals in March of 2004, crossing the line in a disappointing 4:15. Although I ran a huge negative split of 2:12/2:03 that day, I still got my doors completely blown off over the last three laps, which was pretty embarassing to say the least.

Tonight, however, such a race (minus the DAL finish) would be rather encouraging. I know I'm not in the same kind of track shape that I was two years ago at this time, but I'm feeling pretty good about my current level of fitness and a good race would definitely be a step in the right direction. After being injured all of last winter, its exciting just to get out there and mix it up again in a competitive atmosphere. As long as I continue to stay in one functional piece and get some more races under my belt, I know the training will eventually take effect and my race times will start to drop. Keep checking back here as I chronicle my 2006 mission to run faster than I ever have before.

And that does it for now. I don't plan on getting back here till rather late tonight so a race report should follow sometime tomorrow. Hope everyone out there has a good start to their weekend. Take it easy.

Today's 10 Random Things About Me:
1. My favorite color is blue. Any shade.
2. I wear my watch with the strap on the outside of my wrist. Even my nice watch.
3. My socks always match. Always.
4. I got scared while watching Jaws when I was 7-years-old. I've refused to watch it again since.
5. I didn't start eating peanut butter till I was 22-years-old. I now eat it every day.
6. I was Steve Urkel for Halloween when I was 10-years-old. I even painted myself black.
7. I have bunions on both of my feet. Gross, I know.
8. I wanted to join the Marines out of high school just so I could go to boot camp. Looking back, I'm kinda glad I nixed those plans.
9. I hit an inside-the-park homerun when I was in Little League. They didn't give me the ball.
10. I may be the only person ever to have his RecSpecs broken in half while playing basketball. Not even Kareem can say that, I don't think.

Quote of the day:

It sounds corny, but they all had this dream...He was able to formulate his dream and then went out and accomplished it.
-Bob Sevene on Bill Rodgers

1 comment:

pjm said...

Hm, we always used "DFL" rather than "DAL." Hopefully the expansion is self-evident. Of course, there's always Jon Drummond's 1996 coinage (about Carl Lewis in the Olympic Trials 100m): "He was butt-naked last in the final..."