Wednesday, January 07, 2009

To hill with it

TUESDAY
8:05 AM- Westboro - 9 miles, 1:01:00.
17:00 warmup, 16:00 cooldown.
6 x 2:00 hills @ 90% effort w/jog down recovery.

WEDNESDAY
8:10 AM- BSC - Bike, 1:00:00.
65-70% effort for the first half hour, 80-85% by the end.

This space drew a big blank yesterday, and for that I apologize. Hope no one missed me too much. The excuses are a plenty, so let's just bypass the bullshit and get back to business as usual.

Yesterday was my first hill workout since last September, and other than the cold burn of some blustery air trying to burst out of my lungs, it went off without a hitch. I made six 2-minute trips up Eli Whitney St. in Westboro, site of many a similar workout last fall with Carrara and Ceiks, and to my surprise I was able to reach the same mailbox we used as our benchmark back in August and September. I'll be honest, yesterday's effort wasn't completed with anywhere near the ease I was able to handle this hill with last fall, but it was a solid session for where I'm at right now. My fitness level isn't buried too far beneath the surface and with a little more diligence I know I'll have it dug out in due time. The nice thing is, there's no rush.

This morning's solo spin session at BSC was anything but entertaining, so I'm not gonna waste many words on it. An hour is a long time to kill on a bike that doesn't go anywhere, so I found myself working a little harder the last half hour than I otherwise would on the day after a workout. Luckily, the absence of impact helps keep my maladies to a minimum, so I should be no worse for the wear when I roll out of bed tomorrow morning. Just gotta get there first, so that will do it for this entry. Goodnight.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice workout Mario. Don't get me wrong, not much beats being in top shape, but isn't it exciting when you're on your way back and you run a good workout and start wondering "What if?"

Kevin