Thursday, October 25, 2007

Into the black

7:50 AM - 7 miles, 48:00 - Rockland 7.
Reverse Rockland loop before work. Didn't feel overly terrible despite a short night of sleep.

8:00 PM 5 miles, 37:50 - Westboro.
Solo from the store after work. 13:04 up to the WHS track, 8 x 200m w/200m jog recovery in 35.19, 35.62, 33.83, 33.69, 33.39, 33.76, 33.36, 33.58, 12:28 down back to the store.

If you've never run repeat 200's on a deserted pitch-black track at 8:30 on a Thursday night at the end of October, I suggest trying it sometime. There's nothing like the isolated feeling of losing yourself in a rhythmic trance on the track as the crisp autumn air makes its way into your lungs and then escapes back into the night sky. I felt like Haile Gebrselassie in Endurance, only whiter and slower.

Quote of the Day

"I think the reason I did so well in that race is that I wasn't worrying about expectations. And that's something that I've really taken to heart that I've really learned from that experience. I want to go out there and do my best obviously, and I've prepared and done everything I can to do that. But I've learned that you can't allow expectations to get to you...So I love being in this situation. I can just go out there, know that I'm ready, be confident, race my best, and see what happens."
- Josh Rohantinsky, 2006 NCAA cross country champion, on his expectations for the Olympic Trials Marathon on November 3rd.

1 comment:

Kerry said...

Way back in the fall of 1994 when I first joined the college track team I discovered the joy of running at dusk in the late fall, the darkness gathering in early afternoon, the temperatures falling, running in the glow of headlights, amidst the gathering leaves on the sidewalks. I seldom get philosophical on here but I do love running at this time of year.