Friday, September 21, 2007

Progression session

7:25 AM - 10 miles, 1:03:30 - Horgan Track.
4 miles to Horgan (28:00), 2 miles of striding the back straight on the track (12:40), 4-mile progression back home (22:50 - 6:00, 5:55, 5:35, 5:20).

Not gonna lie, this one wasn't as easy as I hoped it would be but then again running hard first thing in the morning rarely ever classifies as effortless. Normally I wouldn't consider finishing up the last couple miles of a run at a mid-5:30 pace all that difficult an endeavor, but doing so less than an hour removed from a deep sleep is a whole different story. Menial complaints aside, the important thing is that I got the damn thing done, not with the ease or speed I was hoping for, but done nonetheless.

The rest of my NB Boston teammates will run a similar session tomorrow morning in Lincoln, but because of my wacky weekend work schedule and relative lack of proximity to the aforementioned location, I get the privilege of doing the the second workout of the week on my own. It's not an ideal situation, but because of the circumstances it is what it is. If anything, I think flying solo through turbulence once a week this fall will pay huge mental dividends when it comes time to toe the starting line. It's one thing when you can latch on to someone and fly the friendly skies, it's a whole 'nother kind of adventure when you hit a rough stretch without the luxury of a co-pilot. The real test is not abandoning your aircraft when it starts taking a nosedive.

Quote of the Day

"Keep the faith, 2008 is a big year for running and life."
- Keith Kelly, speaking, er, e-mailing, the truth.

No comments: