Sunday, September 16, 2007

Double your fun

10:35 AM - 10 miles - Canal Diggers 5K.
Ran the inaugural Canal Diggers 5K as the second part of a pre-arranged workout with Kevin of 2 x 5K. No splits, but did the first on my own in 16:46 (5:24 pace), raced the second in 15:44 (5:04 pace). Nice to reacquaint myself with old friend Ann Aerobia, even if just for a brief minute or two.

5:45 PM - 6 miles, 45:25 - Hopedale.
Double dose of the pond after work. Lightheaded and woozy but legs felt fine.

Just got home from a night consisting of barbecue, beer, baseball and the Brady Show at Rich's house, so this will be quick. Busy day today with a workout/race all rolled into one this morning, an afternoon shift working at the store, a refreshing evening run on the hallowed dirt of Hopedale and one of the biggest nights of New England sports in recent memory. Let's just forget about the fact that the Sox dropped 2 of 3 to the Yanks at home and revel in the Pats 38-14 dismantling of the Chargers instead. Yeah, let's do that.

Anyway, as I mentioned on Friday, this morning's workout was 2 x 5K with goal paces of 5:25-30 for the first go around and 5:10-15 a few minutes a later. I didn't get any splits along the way, but hit 16:46 (5:24), 15:44 (5:04) with about 15 minutes in between the two. I was shooting for only 10 minutes of respite, but the start of the race was pushed back 5 minutes so the walkers could get an unnecessary head start.

Overall, I'm very happy with the effort, even more so to pull out the win. The course was flat and conditions were ideal, but I'm not gonna lie - I was busting my ass the second time around. Once the singlet went on and the horn went off, hitting splits went out the window and the only goal became to win the damn race. After a choppy start, I spent 2-1/2 miles trying to chase down Byron Gartrell until I finally caught him with just over a 1/4 mile to go. I got gapped, but I didn't quit. When I went by Byron, I went by him hard. I didn't check splits, I raced. I'll be sore tomorrow, but I can sleep well tonight.

Quote of the Day

"The last lap I tried to catch to him. But I didn’t have the energy. But now I have the courage. I do not fear anybody. Because I now realize that even me, I can make it.”
- Moses Masai

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"revel in the Pats 38-14 dismantling of the Chargers"

Definitely, let's do that.

I wonder how much sleep the Bill's defensive coordinator is going to get this week. Brady to Moss/Welker/Stallworth/Watson is going to give him some freaky nightmares.

mark said...

Great Workout/Race!

mark said...

Gotta love The Sports Guy!

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/bostonblog

SMM said...

I saw the article and pic in the T&G in my teachers' room. Well done. And that's not even counting the workout. Very impressive.