Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Tired Tuesday

Talk about taking a 180.

So much for my Monday of rest, recovery and relaxation, because nothing of the sort has held true today.

Because of my duties as the late guy at work last night, I left the office at 1:35 a.m. and was home and in bed by 2 - pretty good timing for a Monday late shift, actually. I figured I'd sleep till around 10 or so, thus giving me roughly eight hours of relative shuteye. Boy, was I wrong.

Now, I've never been a very good sleeper. In fact, I suck at it. But I'm usually able to scrounge together a few good stretches every night, leaving me somewhat refreshed and ready-to-go the next morning. Last night, however, was just one of those nights where for whatever reason, sleep wasn't happening. In a nutshell, it went like this: toss, turn, look at the clock, repeat. Not a recipe for success, believe me.

Anyways, the show goes on. I'm guestimating that I spent about four hours in la-la land before I got out of bed for good at 10:30. After inhaling a brownie and half a bagel, I headed out for my Tuesday late-morning shakeout and actually didn't feel all that bad. I ran comfortably for 33:30, got a good stretch in, showered, and had breakfast before commencing with the day's errands. I would try to take a nap and make up for last night's lost Z's, but I'm doubting the outcome of such an endeavor. Oh well, I'll just deal with it.

Next up on the day's agenda is practice tonight at 7. It should be a fairly light affair, probably some cruise 600's or something similar. Most of us are racing on Saturday morning, so the intensity will likely be kept at a minimum. The next few days will be relatively easy, both volume/intensity wise. I've got 10 miles on tap for tomorrow, then an 8/4 double on Thursday and a 4/4 double plus strides on Friday. The goal for Saturday's 5K is to race well. Simple as that. Not gonna worry too much about chasing a time - just let it rip and the outcome will take care of itself.

On a side note, Scott posted my interview with Jorge Torres here. Check it out. Heck, leave a comment and lemme know what ya think.

And that does it for now. I probably won't get a chance to update later on tonight so this will likely do it until tomorrow. I'm also working on a slightly longer, more thought out entry that I hope to post sometime in the next day or two. Stay tuned.

Quote of the day:

Every excuse pops up just when I am about to head out the door. When I am 30 seconds into the run, I am so glad, just happy to be moving away from it all. I have never done drugs, but I imagine that must be what it is like. Just happy to be there.
-Ryan Carrara

No comments: