Sunday, February 12, 2006

Let it snow...

...and snow, and snow, and snow. OK, you get the point. As of 7:44 p.m. there's 12-15 inches of the fluffy white stuff piled up outside, but the good news is that the end appears to be in sight - which is certainly a welcome sign, because this shit has been coming down with reckless abandon for about 18 hours now and hasn't let up one iota. Absolutely relentless, I tell ya.

Not much I can do about it from here - with here being work - so I'll stop my bitching. Now that I'm done complaining about the weather, I'll just suck it up and deal with it. Such is life as a native New-Englander.

In the day's other excitement - well, there wasn't any, really. Hell, I didn't even run today! In fact, it was the first big goose egg on my calendar since July 22nd of last year. Crazy, I know. After yesterday's race, a sore ankle upon getting out of bed this morning, along with a few big weeks of training on the horizon and nearly two feet of snow on the ground, today seemed as good a day as any to give the 'ol body a rest. And I'll be a better runner because of it. I hope.

While I'm on the subject of running, this afternoon I was reflecting back on the past few weeks and months of racing/training to see how my current situation compared to that of a year ago at this time. Since I was barely able to run at all for 14 minutes and 55 seconds this time last February, I'd say yesterday's 14:55 for 5,000 meters wasn't all that terrible. It really helped me to put things in perspective - definitely a step in the right direction. In terms of actual numbers, at this point last year I had amassed a whopping 39 miles since January 1. As of week's end yesterday, I'm at 518 miles over the same six-week time span. I'll take that - just gotta continue to keep the head up and pointed in the right direction. As I'm so often reminded - and it's worth restating here - a little hard work, combined with patience, consistency and the right attitude can take you a long way.

So watch the hell out, cause I'm comin' atcha!

Quote of the day (stolen from Nate's log):

Every day you may make progress. Every step may be fruitful. Yet there will stretch out before you an ever-lengthening, ever-ascending, ever-improving path. You know you will never get to the end of the journey. But this, so far from discouraging, only adds to the joy and glory of the climb.
- Sir Winston Churchill

No comments: