Thursday, February 09, 2006


Hmmm, not sure where I wanna go with this one, so I'll start off with my daily running update and see where things progress from there.

Being my day off from work, I rolled my ass out of bed at around 10 a.m. and had myself a cup of green tea and some dry cereal before hitting the ground running at precisely 10:44, not a minute later. Deciding that I wanted to kill as many birds with one stone as I could this morning, I ran three miles into work to snag my paycheck - throwing my boss for a loop in the process - and then proceeded to fartlek my way home by way of the bank, finishing up my eight-mile adventure in exactly 54 minutes. At 4:44 p.m. - yes, exactly six hours after my initial take-off (crazy, eh?) - I strapped on my trusty Supernovas and did it all over again - well, half of it at least. 28 minutes was all it took to complete my four-mile afternoon romp around Pakachoag Hill and I managed to git 'er dunn before dark, which never hurts.

But I'll tell ya what does hurt, that being my stupid-ass left ankle. Well, it doesn't hurt so much as annoy the hell out of me. The thing is dead, I think. Well, mostly dead. There's a big difference between mostly dead and all dead. Mostly dead is slightly alive. With all dead, well, with all dead there's usually only one thing you can do (go ahead, name that movie). Anyways, in my case, the thing to do would be to cut the damn thing off and stop running completely. Well, that's just not an option, so for the past couple days I've basically been dragging my left leg behind me and dealing with the discomfort. It's hard to describe, but basically the ligaments down there are very weak and don't want to work for the first few miles of my run. Once they're warmed up, however, I'm able to put together some semblance of a stride and proceed on my way without any further issues. No real swelling or anything to speak of, so I think as long as I'm careful and keep a close eye on it I'll be alright.

In other news, I booked my April trip to Oregon today, which will take place from the 19th through the 23rd. I'll be flying out to Portland with Oscar and Carrie, spending a day or two with Carrie's family before heading down to Eugene on Friday morning, where Oscar and I are signed up for a 25-lap tour of Hayward field that evening. It's advertised as taking around 30 minutes or so if you hang on to the back of the train - hopefully I don't fall off. Either way, it's a great opportunity and I'm wicked excited for it. On Saturday, Oscar and fiancee will head back up to Portland to plan their upcoming wedding while I spend a few more days in Eugene with my mom's cousin Rhoda. Should be a fun trip, looking forward to it.

And that's gonna do it for now - time for a snack, Leno and bed. Longer, more thought out entry and the return of my Top-10 list on tap for tomorrow. Until then, take it easy. (yes, that would be my ever-so-predictable sign-off if you haven't picked up on it already)

Quote of the day: (yep, that movie again)

I do not envy you the headache you will have when you awake. But for now, rest well and dream of large women.


Anonymous said...

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The first is never get involved in a land war in Asia. The second, only slightly less well known, is this: never go up against a Sicilian when death is on the line! Ha ha ha ha ha ha --

Anonymous said...

See post on Feb 8th