Saturday, July 14, 2007

Training Log: July 8-July 14

Back by unpopular demand, I'll once again be posting the most current edition of my training log on a weekly basis. In the interest of fulfilling one of the original intentions of this space, I've decided to put forth a better effort in sharing my trials, tribulations and occasional small triumphs as a competitive distance runner. Hopefully it can help you as much as I hope it will help me.

As a disclaimer, I wouldn't try any of this at home. Known side effects include a torn Achilles tendon, pelvic stress fracture and tarsal tunnel syndrome, as well as persistent aches and pains and prolonged periods of fatigue. Run at your own risk.

Sunday - AM: 4 miles, 30:00. Sterling Rail Trail. First Hodgie-San Sunday shuffle in a while. Dead-on 7:30 pace was just dandy with me.
Monday - PM: 4 miles, 30:00. Hopedale. One loop with A-Ten and Driscoll before finishing up solo. Just glad these guys took it easy on my gimpy ass, I mean, ankle.
Tuesday - OFF. Or as teammate and good friend Ryan Carrara would say, "off off". Zero, nada, zilch. No training or meaningful physical activity of any sort. Got a lot of other important "life" stuff done though.
Wednesday - PM: 6 miles, 42:00. Sterling Rail Trail. Easy afternoon stroll with Driscoll. Need to save up energy so we could dominate lunch from S&S Deli afterward.
Thursday - AM: 4 miles, 30:00. Hampton 4. Solo jaunt before work; kept it short to make up for yesterday's overdistance day. OK, so maybe the loop is a bit longer than 4 miles, perhaps 4.315 to be precise, but it will NOT get cut it!
Friday - AM: 6 miles, 43:35. AHS track-and-back. Dry air, sunny skies and no issues with the lower extremeties left me happy as a pig in shit when this one was over.
Saturday - AM: 6 miles, 42:55. Industrial Park. First run out of the fat shorts. Ankle felt fine but my legs, moreso both calves than anything else, were expectedly a bit tight. Nothing a little more consistent running won't work out. PM: BIKE, 63:00. Easy spin after work to stretch the legs and shake a splitting headache. Tylenol probably would have been just as effective.

Totals: Run - 30 miles, 5 runs. Bike - 63:00, 1 ride. Good first week back after three weeks on the shelf, or in the saddle rather. Didn't ride much this week, mostly due to laziness and lack of time. Lungs feel good and legs are responding nicely to a rude re-introduction of pounding on the pavement. Still somewhat shocked, but very happy, with how quickly things turned around after a couple rounds of ART.

This week should look pretty similar to last and then I'll start thinking about working in some longer runs and perhaps some strides toward the end of the month. I'm feeling good about where I'm at right now and the direction things are heading.

Quote of the day:

"As long as there is passion, there will be success."
- Joan Benoit Samuelson

No comments: