Monday, July 09, 2007

No laughing matter

Injuries are a funny thing. Not that the one I'm currently trying to shake is a laughing matter but it's humoring me just the same. I've run three of the last four days with no noticeable issues other than feeling like a hunk of waddling lard, which is most assuredly a scene of hilarity to anyone unfortunate enough to witness it. After three weeks of no running, a few nut-crushing hours in the saddle and two ART sessions with Dr. Weiss, the suspect ankle actually feels pretty good. I've still got a long way to go but I'll take each 30-minute trot as a small victory right now. Hopefully by being diligent about the icing, stretching, strengthening and all that other preventative b.s., I mean maintenance, that will now be as much a part of my daily routine as my morning dump, I'll be able to stay a step ahead of injury. Actually, there's nothing funny about that, so scratch my original statement.

Injuries are a shitty thing. There, I feel better now.

Quote of the day:

"You cannot be a good fighter if you are always afraid of what might happen."
- American Shaolin

2 comments:

SMM said...

Mario, I feel you. It's best to have a sense of humor -- and view life through a non-runner's perspective from time to time -- but especially during the summer, injuries can be the blues. My big plans for summer miles are in jeopardy too, so I'm left doing some of the strengthening "bs" you mention (but not as aggressively as you, it sounds), but all I want to do in the summer is run twice a day and then go long or race on the weekends. So this injury thing is definitely shitty. I'm getting more reading done though, for what it's worth!

k.gwyth said...

p a t i e n c e. There is ALWAYS something that can be taken from these shitty situations that can benefit you later on in your pursuits.