Thursday, July 05, 2007

Pre-weekend update

Since a fellow blogging teammate of mine inquired yesterday as to whether or not I was ever going to update this thing again, I figured I'd make him and the rest of the masses happy by chiming in with one of those much-anticipated token updates that I happen to hit the publish button on from time to time. Plus, Gwyth started harassing me again last week about my posting infrequency, so let's hope this short snippet keeps the threatening Facebook wall posts at a minimum.

OK, last things first. A few days ago I went off on a small tangent on the distance runner's not-so-distant cousin, the cyclist. To anyone on two wheels who was offended by the insolence manifested by the injured runner in me, please find it somewhere in your florescent spandex to forgive my wacky rant. I like cycling, I really do, and as an olive branch of sorts, I offer up a newly-discovered link to Kerry Litka's website, an entertaining -- and well-written -- look at life from a distance runner-turned-professional cyclist. Give it a look!

Speaking of looks, I finally got one from a medical professional today, namely Dr. Brad Weiss at Performance Health Center in Natick. After an initial consultation and thorough structural evaluation, I was diagnosed with tarsal tunnel syndrome in my right ankle. Basically my right side is way out of whack from the hips on down, which may be the root of all my problems on that side of the body, i.e. Achilles issue two years ago, last year's pelvic stress fracture, perpetually tight hamstring and the like. Currently, that same out-of-whackness is causing an entrapment of the nerve under the medial malleolus in my right ankle. The solution? Free up the nerve by means of a technique called Active Release Therapy, which I had my first session of today. It involved "flossing" the nerve with some manipulation techniques. It's hard to tell at this point if the first round of ART helped or not, but I've been given the green light to try and run for a bit tomorrow so I guess I'll find out soon enough. Good, bad or otherwise, I'll be back in Natick on Monday morning for a follow-up, so cross your fingers, channel your inner Chi and stay tuned.

Meanwhile, I'm gonna tune out and get to bed. One more day of respite from the rigors of the working world so I'm gonna take advantage and bank some Z's while the rare opportunity presents itself. Take it easy out there in blogland, a.k.a. boredatworkland.

Quote of the day:

The best way out is always through.
- Robert Frost

No comments: