Thursday, December 25, 2008

The Most Wonderful Run of the Year

9:10 AM - Auburn - 9 miles, 1:04:30.

Today is hands down my most favorite running day of the year. Thanksgiving turkey trots and July 4th road races have nothing on the annual Christmas Run through the serene streets of Auburn. Today's little tour of the town was the fourth edition of this late-December classic and every year it just seems to keep getting better. If you want in for next year, applications can be submitted by way of commenting on this post and are due for review no later than 12.24.09.

Anyway, a brief history. Four years ago, one Katie Gwyther and I realized that we had not much more than a half mile separating our respective whereabouts on Christmas morning and this was a long-overlooked geographical gem that needed to be capitalized upon. As with all things that were just meant to be, everything eventually fell into place, Fitzy's Market became the spot to meet and 9 o'clock became the time to start running. After two years of just the two of us running together, word started to spread and the Christmas Run started to grow.

2007 saw the addition of Millbury's two most-celebrated Woolies, Erin Dromgoole and no, not Ron Darling, but this guy who just so happens to sit at the top of my blogroll. Marky Mark Driscoll jumped on the bandwagon for the first time this morning and proved he has what it takes to run with the big dawgs around Pakachoag Hill on December 25. If things continue to grow at this rate, we might have to start turning people away. Consider signing up soon.

The Christmas Run, and just Christmas in general, has taken on a very special meaning to me, especially this year. Today, for me, was about gifts. No, not giving them and getting them, but appreciating those that I have -- my family and my friends. I'm very thankful to have such great people in my life -- especially my Mom, who I know is always with me -- and it absolutely made my day to be surrounded by, talk on the phone with or otherwise communicate with those who mean the world to me. I really couldn't have asked for anything else.

A Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night!

1 comment:

Jeff Caron said...

Well, I don't know if I have "what it takes to roll with the big dawgs", but it sounds like a good time! Of course I'd have to put up with these so called friends of yours for 9 miles? I don't know about that.