Monday, January 01, 2007

Let's get it started

Yes, those are man tights and yes, this is a recent picture. As recent as this morning, actually, in what was my first race of 2007. So far I'm (laughably) undefeated in the new year with a 26:25 win at the Freezer 5 in Sterling. The name of the race was fitting because I'm not sure I've ever been so cold in my life. With temps in the mid-30's, a steady rain and persistant wind, I came up with the bright idea of wearing a singlet, light gloves and the aforementioned man tights. No problems to speak of until 3-1/2 miles when my arms tightened like a vice grip. I imagine this is what rigamortis feels like. Luckily, the 'ol legs didn't experience any problems and I held a comfortable lead through the chute. The finishing time was in the ballpark of what I thought I was capable of running and, more importantly, I felt strong and in control while clicking off some fairly consistent splits. In case you're curious, said splits looked something like this: 5:14, 10:31, 15:45, 21:10, 26:25.

Overall, I'm happy with the effort and feeling good about where I'm at right now as 2007 gets underway. I'm still a long ways off from where I want to be, but I'm on the right track and confident that I'll get there. To steal a line from Billy Mills: "Believe, believe, believe."

And that's it for today. Happy New Year!

Quote of the day:

Be the dream.
- John Chaney

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Grande Mario! Nice photo, you don't look half as frozen as one would anticipate... chi vince il primo dell'anno, vince tutto l'anno!!!

l'emerodromo said...

Complimenti!
Great race!
good luck for 2007!