Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Homegrown inspiration

Let me say this. Amy Begley's furious finish in the women's 10,000 on Friday night might have been the most inspiring piece of running I've ever witnessed in my 26 years of existence, even if I wasn't there to see it firsthand.

That said, last night's injection of inspiration hit a bit closer to home, as from the comfort of my couch I watched New Balance Boston teammate and native Central Masser, Rebecca Donaghue, earn her spot in the 5,000-meter final Thursday night with a fifth-place, 15:38.95 finish in her qualifying heat.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot, this was a 17-second PR - 17 seconds! - at the Olympic Trials no less!

It was both an incredible and inspiring performance, incredibly inspiring, in fact. I'll have more to add later, as well as my take on all the other action, but first I gotta go get my flimsy frame realigned before hitting the track tonight myself. Catch you clowns later.

No comments: