Friday, May 30, 2008

Friday fix

So it looks like Friday is blogging day, for this guy anyway. Not much excitement to speak of, but Disco Rick & The Chieftains did finish 6th out of 34 teams in the Men's Open division last Sunday at the Vermont City Marathon Relay. We clocked in at a 2:58:52, a few minutes ahead of our anticipated pace, but still 5-1/2 minutes behind a bunch of guys in banana suits. All in all it was a great weekend and a good time was had by all.

Other than my weekend away, the rest of the week was business as usual. It consisted of a few days of work, a bit of running and not enough rest, which is pretty much par for the course for me these days.

As for the running this week, I got in a solid 18 in Burlington on Sunday as part of the relay, with the first 6 miles at an average of 6:01 pace, the next 6 at a 5:35 clip and the final 6 at just under 7-minute pace. I bounced back pretty well from that and Tuesday night I got on the track with my 'mates for a healthy dose of eight 1,000-meter repeats, ranging anywhere from 3:06-3:10, with 1:45 for recovery between each 2-1/2 lapper. This morning I did a short fartlek consisting of ten 1-minute pickups just to spin the wheels one last time before the 5K on Sunday.

Oh yes, 5K. 3.1 miles of lung burning, lactic acid-laced pain taking over my body. It's been a while since I've subjected myself to such torture, but I'm looking forward to it nonetheless. I can't think of a better way to wake up my marathon-ravaged legs than by locking them in the hurtbox for 15 or so minutes of anaerobic distress. It should do the trick pretty quickly, in fact.

Quote of the Week

"This is the one sport that you can be tremendous at doing in an hour a day. It's the one sport where talent is the least important component to success. It's dedication and hard work."
- Buddy Bostick

No comments: