Monday, November 13, 2006

Happy trails

Yesterday morning marked a much-anticipated return to the humble home of Ryan and Christy Mae Carrara and the soft trails of Hudson, Mass. Normally, "long" is the theme on Sunday morning at the Carrara household, but not yesterday - not for anyone involved, in fact. The customary post-run brunch, however, was still in full effect, so many thanks to Christy Mae for providing a fantastic means of replenishment afterward.

Back to the run itself. The three of us giddily (OK, maybe it wasn't that exciting) made our way into Memorial Forest for a pleasant 72 minute jaunt on the aforementioned trails. The air was a bit moist and the ground somewhat damp, but the running was of course fantastic, and Ryan and I felt so dandy that we finished up our 10-mile effort with 6 easy strides on the road. This was my first double-digit run since early July and I'm happy to report that as of 11:37 p.m. on Monday night everything is indeed still feeling good. 10 days till Turkey Day and the Gobble, Gobble, Gobble 4-miler in Somervile. The latest line in Vegas still has me coming in at 22:30 with a 30-second swing either way. I'm no Benjamin Eckstein, but I'd say that's a pretty fair bet at this stage of the game.

That'll have to do it for tonight. Take it easy.

Quote of the day:

I ran 2 mountain races this year because I am good at it. It does not mean I like to run hills. Does the local garbage man love garbage? No, but you gotta go where the money is.
- Eric Blake on his 2nd-place finish at the Monson Memorial 1/2 Marathon

No comments: